How to Apply for a Marriage License

Both applicants may apply in person for a marriage license Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., except legal holidays. The Court is closed for lunch from noon to 1:00 p.m. daily.

You can apply online any time, but in order to complete the online application process, both parties must go together to the Court between the hours listed above, with any additional required materials mentioned in these instructions.

*Marrying in Ohio and live in Ohio? - Apply in the county of either applicant’s residence. One or both of the applicants must be a resident of Pike County to apply in Pike County.

*Marrying in Ohio and both applicants live out of state? - Apply in the county in which you will be married.

*Living in Ohio but marrying out of state? - Apply in the county of the state in which you will be married.

If either applicant is under 18 years of age, contact the court for further information.

Required Documents to Obtain a Marriage License

Both applicants must have a VALID driver’s license or State issued I.D. and their social security card with them. Simply knowing your social security number is not enough. You must either present your social security card or provide a legal document that contains your full name and full social security number, such as a W-2, tax return, pay stub, etc.

If either applicant has been previously married and divorced, you must provide a file-stamped copy of the final order or decree of divorce or dissolution for ALL previous divorces. Simply providing the paperwork for the last divorce action only is not enough. If you do not have this paperwork, it is your responsibility to contact the clerk of court of the county in which your divorce was filed in order to obtain a file-stamped copy.

If either applicant has been widowed, then a certified copy of the death certificate of their spouse must be provided.


The cost to obtain a marriage license is $50.00 and must be paid by cash or a credit/debit card. No checks are accepted.

Your marriage license is good the day that it is issued and is good for sixty (60) days.

The Application Process

You may apply in person at the times previously given. You will be required to fill out an intake sheet providing your personal information. If you wish, you may print out and complete this intake sheet and bring the completed forms with you.

A couple wishing to marry will provide the required documentation and fees for issuing the license. The deputy clerk will then provide you with the prepared marriage application for you to review and will administer an oath and obtain your signatures.

Your marriage license will be issued and the deputy clerk will provide further instructions.

The Marriage Ceremony

Marriages are to be performed by an ordained minister within the state licensed to perform marriages. In Pike County, a civil ceremony can be performed by the County Court Judge as well as any mayor of a municipal corporation.

You may contact the Pike County County Court at (740) 947-4003 for additional information and times should you wish to be married by the County Court Judge.

Please Note: It is the couple’s responsibility to make sure that the person officiating their wedding ceremony is licensed in the State of Ohio through the Ohio Secretary of State.

The Application for Minister’s License Form can be obtained from the Ohio Secretary of State or by clicking here.

Marriage Frequently Asked Questions

How Can I Get a Copy of My Marriage License?

Please note: Our Court can only provide copies and certifications for marriage licenses that were issued by our Court. We cannot process, assist with, or certify any marriage license or record issued by other counties.

If you obtained your marriage license in Pike County, our deputy clerks can provide you with a certified copy of your marriage record at a cost of $2.00. You can request a copy of your marriage record in person during normal business hours or request that a copy be mailed to you.

You may contact the Probate Court by telephone at (740) 947-2560 or by email at to request a copy.

You will need to provide the date of the marriage and the full names of both applicants.

How Do I Change My Name After I'm Married?

You will be provided a return stub and a self-addressed envelope when you obtain your marriage license. The wedding officiant (minister, judge or mayor) will complete this stub indicating their name and address and the date that you were married. The stub will be mailed back to the Court within 30 days of your wedding and recorded by the deputy clerk. After the information is recorded, the deputy clerk will issue a certified copy of your marriage record and mail it to you at the address given at the time of your application.

This certified copy of your marriage record will have a signature of the deputy clerk and a raised seal of the court. This certified copy is legal proof of marriage and this document can be taken to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to have your driver’s license or State I.D. re-issued in your new name. You will also need to take the document to the Social Security office to have your social security card changed to your new married name.

After your wedding, your marriage license simply becomes a souvenir keepsake and has no legal significance. Your marriage license will not be acceptable to use to have your name changed on your I.D. or social security card.

How Do I Get Licensed to Perform Wedding Ceremonies in the State of Ohio?

Ohio law requires that you be registered with the Ohio Secretary of State in order to perform wedding ceremonies.

The Application for Minister’s License Form can be obtained from the Ohio Secretary of State or by clicking here.

Apply Online